- The XP-Pen is often detected as a keyboard due to compatibility issues, and its display doesn't light up.
- A quick fix is to update all the relevant drivers.
- Read this guide to find out how others managed to fix the problem!
The XP Pen graphics tablet is a top-of-the-line product offering an easy-to-use interface. While it has maintained a steady user base over the years, a few found their XP Pen detected as a keyboard, and they couldn’t use it as a graphics drawing tablet.
The problem is faced across models of the Artist series, be it XP Pen Artist 10, XP Pen Artist 12, or XP Pen Artist 22E Pro, amongst others. The drawing tablet was recognized as a keyboard when plugged in the first time. And reconnecting it didn’t help in most cases!
Why is my XP-Pen recognized as a keyboard in Windows 11?
- The dedicated power button is not turned on
- An incompatible cable is used
- The tablet drivers are missing
- The system has corrupt or outdated drivers
What can I do if my XP-Pen is detected as a keyboard on Windows 11?
Before we head to the slightly complex changes, try these quick solutions first:
- Turn on the dedicated power button on the tablet. Many who had previously used a non-display drawing tablet don’t know about the power button that extends the display and makes the XP Pen a second monitor.
- Make sure you are using the USB cable that came along with the tablet. Plug it into different ports and remove any extenders or hubs.
If none work, move to the fixes listed next.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
1. Install the device drivers
- Go to XP-Pen’s support page, and select your model from the list.
- Locate Software and Drivers on the right, and then click the Download button next to the most recent driver for Windows.
- Right-click the downloaded file and select Extract All from the context menu.
- Choose the location of the extracted files and then click the Extract button.
- Similarly, extract any other sub-folders you come across and then run the setup.
- Click Yes in the UAC prompt.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the driver installation.
- Restart the computer, then plug in the XP-Pen drawing tablet, and it shouldn’t be recognized as a keyboard anymore.
If this doesn’t work, check out other ways to update the XP Pen drivers from our expert article.
2. Update the PC drivers
When the XP Pen is detected as a keyboard, you also need to update the hardware drivers, especially the ones for the processor and USB ports.
If your manufacturer offers an auto-update utility, download it and let it check for missing, outdated, or corrupt drivers. Even when Wacom pen pressure is not working, a driver update helps.
Besides, you could use a third-party driver updating tool to automatically identify any problematic drivers on the PC and download an updated copy of each. The tools helped many who found the Surface Pen not working.
As a suggestion, we guarantee a driver update solution optimized for PCs that will detect all outdated drivers. Namely, Outbyte Driver Updater is the most efficient tool for any driver issues.
3. Perform a system restore
- Press Windows + S to open Search, type Create a restore point in the search bar, and click the relevant result.
- Click the System Restore button.
- Select Choose a different restore point, and click Next to proceed.
- Pick the oldest restore point from the list, and click Next.
- Verify the restore details and click Finish.
If the XP Pen graphics tablet worked fine previously and is detected as a tablet the first time, it could be the recent changes to blame. Revert the system configuration using a restore point, and things will be up and running!
It works for all recent issues, including when Hunion pen pressure is not working.
4. Contact the manufacturer
If none of the solutions here work, it could be a problem with the device itself or the installed firmware version. In this case, it’s best that you contact XP Pen support.
For device-specific problems, they can provide a relevant fix or a timeline as to when things will be up and running.
The XP Pen tablet is a great accessory, and issues with it are easy to fix. Remember, before you start working with the XP Pen display tablet, read the manual to understand all about it and avoid running into problems.
Lastly, users reported issues where the tablet menu didn’t show up, which usually happens when the devices are not connected.
For any queries or to share more fixes with us, drop a comment below.